Sunday, October 2, 2011

John Proctor, Hero or Stooge?

In my eyes Proctor is a hero. Sure, his record isn't exactly perfect, but overall, he seems to try to do what is right (in his eyes). I think that the fact that Proctor wants hard evidence of these women being witches makes me feel better about his character. In the beginning of the Cricible, I didnt like John Proctor because he was an adulteror, but as the tory progressed, I realized that he ha stopped his affair with Abagail and tried to do the right thing.
Proctor tries very hard to protect his wife, after he realizes what Abigail  trying to do. He dosen't want his wife to suffer for his mistakes, by letting Abigail torure her and accuse her of being a witch, ruining her reputation with the colonists.

Really, John and Abigail's affair is what started this whole mess of everybody accusing everybody else of witchcraft. Abigail wouldn't have drunk the charm to try and kill Goody Proctor, then she wouldn't have ended up trying to defend herself by accusing the other women and girls of whitchcraft.

4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about Proctor, he was one of the only people he didn't let the witch 'hype' get to him and started questioning the church and started breaking way from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have the whole kinda-hero thing too. At first, I was like, "Oh, Proctor's a good guy", then I read about the affair, then I saw how he was the only steadfast and controlled person in the story/play. But, looking at your last paragraph, do you feel that John Proctor is kind of at fault for the Witch Trials?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darian: thats exactly what I mean. This is the main point that makes me want to consider John proctor as a hero.
    Trinbloom: I think he played a big part in the beginning of the witch trials. They were mostly Abigail's fault ( obviously), but this all happened because Proctor rejected her ( not that I don't think that that was the right thing to do). I kind of think that they were his fault, but only because of Abigail's reaction to his actions.
    Stina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely got a different impression of Proctor than you did. I mean yeah you said he's overall a hero; and i agree. I think John Proctor was the main hero in this book. I don't agree with the fact that John Proctor and his affair with Abigail was really what was the start of the whole situation. In the book or in real-life I think these witch trials were bound to happen in towns such as Salem, because it was a way for everyone to finally point a finger at someone else. -Charlotte

    ReplyDelete