Friday, September 23, 2011

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

I could see how "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" would have been very convincing at the time it was written. Many people would never have dared question the authority and power of God, and this sermon would have reinforced that fear quite suitably. Jonathan Edwards illustrates (with quite compelling words) the absolute power of God, and what could happen if he is crossed. He portrays God as "angry", which would lead me to believe that he would not hesitate to take action if he was offended.  
Do  you think that God would rule with fear? Wouldn't he want to "rule" with respect? Or for people to follow his guidelines solely because they are good people?
I think that this sermon helped Jonathan Edwards gain the control that he wanted (not that this isn't really what he believed.) I think when people make huge speeches/sermons like this it makes me a little skeptical. Does anyone else feel like he was doing this partly from a political standpoint?   
I know this was short, but its about all I have to say on the matter. (Sorry it was late, Mr. McCarthy... :/)                                                      

1 comment:

  1. As much as it probably was convincing at the time it was written, I can't imagine a time where people weren't skeptical or doubtful. But maybe people were more...gullible during this time because it was the ONLY thing they knew, and no other outside sources were changing their thoughts, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete